The Freelancer Community Site by Team [RIP] » Board index » The FLC Public Forums » General

Post subject: data storm mod errors
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:34 pm 

Been getting a lot of client side CTD's lately as well as server crashes and so far i cant find any explanation as to why. Most of what has been posted in our mod issues section on the MU forum is inconsistent. So no leads there.

Anyway ran data storm tonight and it flagged this

Code:
+--- Warning: DOUBLE-DATA for [innards_debris_object] in file [C:\PROGRA~1\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\data\equipment\weapon_equip.ini] in DataBlock:
[Explosion]
nickname = li_battleship_flak_turret01_explosion
effect = explosion_super_flak
lifetime = 0.000000, 0.000000
process = disappear
strength = 100
radius = 350
hull_damage = 800
energy_damage = 500
impulse = 0
debris_impulse = 300
debris_type = debris_flak, 1.000000
innards_debris_start_time = 0.000000
innards_debris_num = 40
innards_debris_radius = 250
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris02
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris08
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris09
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris10
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris11
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris12
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris13
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris14
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris15
-- (useing last value) --

It shows the same thing for every flak turret in the mod. My theory is there is only supposed to be one line stating "innards_debris_object. I think that there being more than one is what is possibly causing CTD's and server crashes.

So my question is, is my theory correct or am i clutching at straws.

If i am wrong then why does datastorm flag this as a duplicate entry.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Neither that explosion nor the phrase "innards_debris_object =" appears in vanilla so it is guessing time.

Datastorm rarely likes duplicates of things in files but it doesn't flag anything like this in the UnderVerse so those duplicates are suspect.

If you know how to view that explosion on a test machine, watch it as is, then comment out all but one and watch it again. Decide if the result is worth crushing one bug or not.

Unlikely this is causing a client crash unless the explosion is pushing their graphics card over the limit.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:41 pm 

Well it is quite likley doing that graphics wise then because ive had a few complaints when some of the players are flying past npc ships using this effect that the game locks up while the effect is running.

guess its time for testing then :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:07 am 

That entry belongs in DATA\FX\explosions.ini

It should not be in weapon_equip.ini

And on the face of it, it is not correct format either, you will need to restructure and remake both the entry in weapon_equip.ini and if you want the debris you will have to make a new explosion definition entry in explosions.ini too, by the look of this.

However if it gives the effect you want, then if it is not the cause of the problems you may wish to ignore the errors.

Here's a correct explosions.ini entry for other readers so you can see the connection with debris chunks...
Code:
[explosion]
nickname = explosion_cap_ship1
lifetime = 0.000000, 0.100000
process = disappear
debris_impulse = 25
debris_type = debris_1_minute_a, 0.330000
debris_type = debris_1_minute_b, 0.330000
debris_type = debris_1_minute_c, 0.330000
innards_debris_start_time = 0.000000
innards_debris_num = 6
innards_debris_radius = 10
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris08
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris09
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris11
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris12
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris13
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris14
innards_debris_object = simple_metal_debris15

Note this particular explosion is called from a ship's shiparch.ini when the ship breaks up...
Code:
hold_size = 1210
explosion_arch = explosion_cap_ship1

The debris pieces are defined also in explosions.ini...
Code:
[Simple]
nickname = simple_metal_debris01
DA_archetype = Solar\asteroids\models\debris_small01.3db
material_library = solar\ast_debris.mat
Mass = 1000
[Simple]
nickname = simple_metal_debris02
DA_archetype = Solar\asteroids\models\debris_small02.3db
material_library = solar\ast_debris.mat
Mass = 1000

Here's a correct complete Flak gun entry in weapon_equip.ini...
Code:
[Motor]
nickname = br_battleship_flak_turret01_motor
lifetime = 1.000000
accel = 300
delay = 0

[Explosion]
nickname = [b]br_battleship_flak_turret01_explosion[/b]
effect = br_flakcannon01_impact
lifetime = 0.000000, 0.000000
process = disappear
strength = 100
radius = 2
hull_damage = 3420
energy_damage = 0
impulse = 850

[Munition]
nickname = br_battleship_flak_turret01_ammo
explosion_arch = [b]br_battleship_flak_turret01_explosion[/b]
hp_type = hp_gun
requires_ammo = false
hit_pts = 2
one_shot_sound = fire_capship
detonation_dist = 0.500000
lifetime = 3.000000
Motor = br_battleship_flak_turret01_motor
force_gun_ori = false
const_effect = br_flakcannon01_proj
HP_trail_parent = HPExhaust
seeker = DUMB
DA_archetype = equipment\models\weapons\li_rad_missile.3db
material_library = equipment\models\li_equip.mat
mass = 1
volume = 0.000100

[Gun]
nickname = br_battleship_flak_turret01
ids_name = 263413
ids_info = 264413
DA_archetype = equipment\models\turret\br_turret04b.cmp
material_library = equipment\models\br_turret.mat
HP_child = HPConnect
hit_pts = 16384
explosion_resistance = 1.000000
debris_type = debris_turret_small
parent_impulse = 20
child_impulse = 80
volume = 50
mass = 10
hp_gun_type = hp_turret_special_7
damage_per_fire = 0
power_usage = 0
refire_delay = 0.400000
muzzle_velocity = 100
toughness = 2.000000
flash_particle_name = br_flakcannon01_flash
flash_radius = 15
light_anim = l_gun01_flash
projectile_archetype = br_battleship_flak_turret01_ammo
separation_explosion = sever_debris
auto_turret = true
turn_rate = 90
lootable = true
LODranges = 0, 3000
[LOD]
obj = Root
LODranges = 0, 3000
[LOD]
obj = barrel
LODranges = 0, 3000

You will have to do some exploration and guessing to fix this one. :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:33 am 

The only thing i dont see is how your explosion.ini entry links to the flak gun itself.

Not sure if you misunderstood some of this as well, as it is not the capship that the explosion entry is for, the explosion entry is there to create the effect of real flak and as far as i can see it works apart from a random CTD.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:24 pm 

Sorry if I confused you.

The explosion_cap_ship1 is just an example of a correct entry, in explosions.ini, so that you can see where the innards_debris_object = lines belong, it does not relate to your flak-gun at all.

You will also see that debris_type = , innards_debris_num = , and innards_debris_radius = all belong in explosions.ini too.

Note that the only place debris_type is used in weapon_equip.ini is for a weapon breaking up, so it is found only in [Gun] and [Minedropper] sections.

DataStorm lists multiple entries that are found where it does not expect to find them.

The innards_debris_object = entries do not belong in weapon_equip.ini. So DataStorm lists them as duplicate entries. This type of entry belongs only in an [explosion] section in FX\explosions.ini

Where did your modder get the idea to do it this way? It could be correct, in that it may be giving the desired effect, but there is no instance of this type of entry in vanilla FL.

You can just comment out those debris lines in weapon_equip.ini and see if the flak explosion effect changes in the game, to prove whether it is working as intended - just put a semi-colon at the beginning of each line you want to comment out and that line will be ignored by FL.

If these entries are not giving the explosion effect then they should be removed from there, and to correct the effect you need to make a new explosion entry in explosions.ini that includes your innards_debris_object entries etc.

Once you have created this new entry, I believe you need to refer to it in the [Explosion] section of your flak-gun definition in weapon_equip.ini in the line effect = .

The example above uses effect = br_flakcannon01_impact, so you need to replace this with your new explosion name.

Please don't take this as gospel, I haven't done it and you may need to do much more than this to fix the effect.

However, I'm not altogether convinced that this is your CTD problem though, because FL ignores a lot of invalid definitions.

For your crashes, do you have any particular system(s) that it happens in?

Mainly this type of crash is caused by encounter problems, mine were bad NPC loadouts, some bad ship .sur files, a couple of bad ship .mat files. One system crash was caused during docking at almost any station in the system, it was due to having 11 jumpholes/jumpgates. I moved one to another system and all was well.

The encounter problems were long and difficult to trap, I did it by commenting out all encounters in that system first, then adding them back one zone at a time, with only one faction at a time, commenting out all others and making sure each ship type appeared - I caught the .sur file problems this way, having narrowed it down to one ship type I replaced the ship for that rank NPC with a standard ship to be sure, and then used a standard .sur file temporarily and the problem was solved. Then of course I had to make another .sur file which took several attempts - if it's not a large ship then better to use a standard .sur file and just resize it, as many modders advise, custom surs are better for large ships or wierd-shape ships.

The bad .mat files were also causing crashes client-side, those were longer to find because I did not suspect them and focussed on the .cmp and .sur files for too long. It was bad .dds format textures in those .mat files, which I had initially made in the GIMP and saved with a GIMP DDS plugin. I fixed them using Photoshop with the nVidia DDS plugin. I only had a couple of those fortunately.

Sorry for the wide-ranging suggestions, but there's not much info on your problem to go on at the moment. Hope this helps you a little.

The Freelancer Community Site by Team [RIP] » Board index » The FLC Public Forums » General