Post subject: Fighting Styles
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:36 am 

During the many years that I have played FL, I only very rarely died. I thought it was because my personal fighting style was pretty good. With the recent changes in the mod, I have now come to an understanding that my style success was Largely due to the basic vanilla, or recently, enhanced vanilla make up of the FL game base. With these more serious enemies in this mod, I see I must change my style of fighting, or remain in *TAMER areas. (*Frankly not my first choice)

My fingers are at best Clumsy on the keyboard, and also, there are some seeming glitches with it that cause me to have trouble in trying to change that long time style of fighting. I know there are some Really Good FL Players out there who are able to go Solo into spaces like Nomad territory, and spend 20 minuets or more Dancing with them, pretty much as desired. (*TW*Hessian comes to mind.)

Under Options, I set the keys up for Thrust, Strafe Left, Strafe Right, Engine Kill, and Strafe Up-Down, so that my fingers do not get too twisted up trying to convert over.

There are some issues I have with the keys though, and I will ask them here. When I hit Engine Kill, then Thrust, the ship jumps ahead as it should, and maintains a slow steady drop of speed as I would expect. however, if I hit Strafe, in any direction, that Thrust Speed drops back to the regular flight speed of 80.....Why??

The last thing I want is for the ship to Slow Down in serious combat situations. If Strafe, and Thrust could be made to maintain the speed given with thrust, I would think Less Damage could be taken?? If I hit Thrust, then turn Backwards, flying at 200mps or so, to shoot at oncoming enemy ships behind me, the last thing I would want is for my ship to slow to 80mps when I hit left or right strafe...

Can this problem be overcome?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Fighting Styles
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:33 am 

try to thrust then engine kill and streafe. momentum is maintained i believe. know the theory but my fingers dont:)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:36 am 

Come on sev, tell him the truth as you well know it. SPAM THEM TO DEATH. That's the UV style. :lol:

| Universal Trading 46563 |

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:44 pm 

yes but spam here is too good the energy missiles never miss. I notice a little spam from you too now and then hk hehehe. taking a break from the uv a while too, got fed up of bickering and some events spoiled. race is no fun now with blockers and teams. gates come back up too fast. small ships have no advantage now. i liked to race and try to take the lead, the fact i kept missing the fast dock was my fault. I learned to avoid the t shirt killers some of the time too. I just liked to race. not really into the rp to be honest. but will be back a bit in the summer hols.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:29 am 

I suppose we will eventually have to Re-Write the Books. They say "you can't teach an old dog new tricks".

With the suggestion of using Engine Kill, Thrust, and Strafe, I am beginning to learn. My fingers are starting to Un-Cramp on the Keys getting Locked Down, and I am finding that Pulsing the Thruster still works some what with Engine Kill as it did with Pulse & Turn.

As I have found that Strafe slows my ship down to normal flight speed, I try to not over use it, but it does, on occasion, come in handy.

This "Old Dog" is trying to learn some new tricks, Thanks for the tips and suggestions from all.

See you in Space. LW.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:37 am 

High speed jousting!
I recently discovered a way to joust against large numbers of pirates by using my cruise engine instead of the thruster. They way it works is you engage cruise engines if you're not already cruising. Then you head toward the enemy ships and kiill the engine when you are almost in range. That will cause you to drift at ahigh speed in ecess of 250KPH. Do not use thrust as that WILL slow you down. As you apporaoach the enemys fire away and turn as you pass them. Target the nearest ship when you pass them and fire away as you drift backwards at a high rate of speed. That will get out of gun range quick enough to minmize your dmage. When you are about 2K away from them engage the cruise engine again and speed up to about 250 KPh. then kill the engine and do it again. There is beneficial side effect that sometimes happens when you do this. When some of the enemy ships are 2.5k away from you they simply dissapreasr reducing the number of hostiles you need to deal with. It worked well for me in the silverton field when xenos threatened to overwhelm me and do me serious damage. Of course if the rocks or debris field is too dense you will bounce aruond and lose velocity. I tried it out with the basic partiot fighter to see how well it worked and was pleased with the results. I haven't treid it against the hardest hitting pirates yet. But will do so when I feel up to it.
Before I came to multiplayer freelancer jousting was my only way of doing combat, and I never used the straffing buttons since they were hard to get to on the keyboard. Of course if you are going to dogfight you definately need to straff. But in jousting mode it's not really neccesary. The advantage to jousting is that you can let you shield build up between attack runs when you are out of gun range. Simply slowdown using reverse thrust and wait just out of range untill your shield builds up. Since the game is designed to let your shield build up faster than the NPCs you will alwys have the advantage over them.
When I came to FlyByYou FL Server I found the long range of the weapons made jousting more dangerouse and I took too much damage. With my new high speed method I can get out of range faster. It could work to get you away from the nemy as well if you don't wish to fight them for some reason.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:45 am 

Thanks Daggit. I do use that process when I am approaching a Mission Way Point. I am then usually at full cruise, 425. As missions have distance restrictions, and repeat cruise slows the ship down for several Long Seconds, I do not use that turn turn back on targets during mission instances, but for Free Fighting, where distance restrictions are not in play, it looks pretty good.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:01 pm 

I took a mission in omicron Alpha to try the high speed jousting against nomads. I was using the Anubis whchn has nomad shields and weapons. I took heavy damage on each pass. Even though I only had a class 7 shield generator I don't think a better shield generator would've made much difference. Those Nomad weapons rip through shields like shield busters so all you can count on is your armor. I eneded up being blown to bits after I ran out of nanos. It was a good experiment. I even tried using torpedos on my passes. I think one hit the target and did much damage, but In the end I did not kill one nomad. I might try it agains at another itme. perhaps with my Sabre II. Maybe if I had the energy misiles. My Sabre has two of them mounted, amd they are good for taking down shields.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:45 pm 

I like to set the up down left and right keys to Forward Revers slide left and right , When you go on a missionnad get within 3K fo the NPC and come to a dead stop use the mouse wheel to slowly move within range and you can pick them of one buy one , Use revers to back away keeping your distance , You can take 3 or more BH easy , Zenos you can take them all out with this method , If you get the distance right so they are on the edege of detection you can just sit there or move forward take some out move back just out of range .

Player Characters -: RECON

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:39 pm 

After a long Chat session with FBU, and some of the above suggestions, I have been able to alter my style of fighting somewhat, and remain alive when being confronted by some serious fire power. As I was playing with the technique of the new style: Engine Kill, Pulse Thrust, and occasional Strafe, I have encountered Double Pages of Corsairs in Titans; BH in Hammerheads, and HH II's, Hessians in Sabres, and For the desert: Outcasts in Sabre II's. (That last one was the hardest)

If 1 or perhaps 2 other players can join up with me, I would love to be able to add those last 3 Nomad Systems, and that last Pair of JH's to my Mapping, and would love to reciprocate with any player who asks.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:50 am 

Those new tricks are nothing new to this Old Dawg. :lol:

When in drift, tap your thruster key too to stay on target when they are trying to get behind you. Just little taps or, you may overrun them and then all is lost.

| Universal Trading 46563 |