Post subject: Lag Issues with Low Ping
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:10 am 

Of late, I've been experiencing a lot of lag when many are just camping on the server or, grouped/fighting NPC's together. I have a very low ping for this server and sometimes, a ping as if I'm right next to it, living as close as I do to FBU.

Just now, I had to log off because of it. Even the NPC's were moving at a snails pace.

Those of you that get together and kill npc's to no end, need to try and clean up the mess you make meaning; bats & bots left floating all around. The server has to take time to read it all and it does create some lag.

When I'm fighting many NPC's and have a full bay of them, bats & bots, after the NPC are gone and while waiting for more, I try to or at least, jetison all or, most of mine and tractor in as many as possible and/or, shot those that are left if I can, before the next wave of NPC's pop up. It help in reducing the servers load, a lot. The less it has to scan for, the faster it runs. It's constantly scanning each and every players in game and anything else that happens to be floating around.

Thank you.

| Universal Trading 46563 |

Post subject: Re: Lag Issues with Low Ping
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:54 am 

I checked and your ping is normal so is everyone thats on right now. Not sure what to tell you other then the normal no streaming on anything or anything using bandwidth as DSL has limited bandwidth and connection speed. Turn everything off that might be on like Steam or other programs running in the background that use connection. Also I lag out when my Virus scanner is updating so might be that also or something else doing it.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:48 am 

I have nothing running and only 2 PC's online. One to keep tabs on my forum and this one and the other for Freelancer. I use a third when wanting to transfer items. I also use, Game Booster and it automatically shuts down all no essential programs when going into gaming mode so, it's got to be something besides that. It stops over 22 processes not needed and turns off other Memory/CPU using programs when using it in game. It actually improves my gaming up to 42%. been using that for a while now. W-XP only though.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:51 am 

I was wanting that lol but don't have XP anymore. Has it improved for you or still the same?

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:08 pm 

Has what improved for me? The server and game as of this post? It's all good since the reset. Yes, if, that's what you're wondering. I guess any/and all trash left in game, floating around was cleaned when it reset?

Game Booster

There's the link if, anyone wishes to review it on the site.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:54 pm 

i have a copy of gamebooster for win 7. tend not to use though, PC speck is still good even though its a few years old.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:28 pm 

I find that if players are Floating in Space" just Chatting, while I am trying to fight, the lag that causes is terrible to no end. IMO, players who only want to talk should Form a Group, and Join Group Chat Channel so as not to cause lag for other players not involved in the chat.

I agree with Hk though, Batts & Botts from fights need to be cleared when the mount up.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:20 pm 

You can clear the area if everyone in that system or area leaves server and comes back on. Also the more loot that is in a system be it bots batts makes the drops slow down so it is best to leave and come back or go out of system. I can also remove the bots batts from low level NPC's to help this situation.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:04 pm 

No real need to remove them, just players should clean up or, like you said, leave the system and/or, sell more often. I would rather have them to sell than not having them at all from any level. I clean up after myself, always have. :|

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:35 pm 

If I am working an area, I would also just dock at nearest base and sell off what I don't need. Make extra $$, and keep stocked up at the same time. Docking to sell off goods clears the area. Then after relaunch, less Lag.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:01 am 

I don't know if this is a problem or not if players are inactive on server if it causes lag. I notice that there is a kick feature on FLAC that if inactive 60mins it will kick that player. I can activate that if you all think it would help any. If not no reason to IMO.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:18 pm 

FlyByU wrote:
I don't know if this is a problem or not if players are inactive on server if it causes lag. I notice that there is a kick feature on FLAC that if inactive 60mins it will kick that player. I can activate that if you all think it would help any. If not no reason to IMO.

I have been on servers where this was standard, some even had Kick Countdowns.

I agree, this should only be done as a Last Resort.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:41 pm 

Lone-Wolf wrote:
FlyByU wrote:

Agreed completely but only in case if player is docked. While player is idling in space in front busy planet (NL,NY,NT,NB) it can slow down server a bit as it has to process traffic and chattering around player but since this is old game for any machine back to 5 years that shouldn't be a problem when player count is low. But then that also depends on how server is modded.
Anyway high count of drops after vaporising enemy kills server for sure so please as many of the guys here said clean up after your self and if you can't here is solution:

no really at least move away from that area at least 10k so that server can wipe them out it self

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:00 pm 

Azr43l wrote:
Lone-Wolf wrote:
FlyByU wrote:

Agreed completely but only in case if player is docked. While player is idling in space in front busy planet (NL,NY,NT,NB) it can slow down server a bit as it has to process traffic and chattering around player but since this is old game for any machine back to 5 years that shouldn't be a problem when player count is low. But then that also depends on how server is modded.
Anyway high count of drops after vaporising enemy kills server for sure so please as many of the guys here said clean up after your self and if you can't here is solution:

no really at least move away from that area at least 10k so that server can wipe them out it self

Another thing I will do is set server to restart every 8 hours instead of 12 that will help a lot. I'll do that now and you can tell me how it works out.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:40 am 

I'm happy to have all this info to learn from. As I'm new to multiplayer freelancer there's a few things I have yet to learn. When I'm out killing NPCs I tend to stay on the move instead of hangng aound in one spot. Sometimes I even run patrols. But even then I do get little lag now and then when there are many ships in the area. So far it hasn't been much of a problem though. The ships just dart about at incredible speeds and I pick them off when they slow down.

Profile E-mail