Post subject: Interview - TheJkWhoSaysNi who made the Simple Save Edit *
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

[align=center]Welcome to another addition to FreelancerCommunity.net! As Freelancer ages, and us too, we thought it was time to start honoring those who have helped to make this such an enjoyable adventure. From tool makers to coders to mod builders to board admins, welcome to the 'FreelancerCommunity.net Interviews'!

I have gathered most emails for these prominent members of our community and have sent out many of them (but not all). If you think you deserve an interview, feel free to email me [email protected]. You may also nominate someone for an interview, please give me their email.

Interviews will be posted in the order I get them back and will be showcased for at least one week. All interviews will be archived in our forums for prosperity.
[/align]

[hr][hr]

Hello TheJkWhoSaysNi, what other names have you been known by in the
Freelancer Community?

None, until recently. I have not been active in the FL community for several years. In most games now I use the name "ix", which is what I've been using on the new lancersreactor site. But before I was inactive, I was always known as TheJkWhoSaysNi.

What part of the world do you live in?

England, UK.

How old are you?

I'm 21 now but when I started playing freelancer I was 16 or 17.

How many years have you played Freelancer?

Since it was released back in 2003. I loved the game since I first played the demo.

Have you released or helped to build a mod? Please describe it.

I haven't. Nothing major anyway. The most I've done is play around creating different weapons using the existing elements in the game. I've never released anything though.

Have you written a tutorial? Please tell us about it.

Yes, I wrote a tutorial for lancersreactor.com on making modular mods by adding entries to freelancer.ini rather than editing all the existing files. Unfortunately there were a lot of quite large restrictions to adding mods using this method so it never really took off.

Have you created any tools for the community to use? What does it do?

This is what I am best known for in the Freelancer community. I've released several tools for Freelancer.

The first one I released was the character editor, which allowed visually editing Trent, Juni and other characters in the game. You could choose a head, body and hands. It was quite well received and I still get emails about it today. It even let you overwrite what trent looked like in an existing game. It looked like Digital Anvil wanted people to be able to customize Trent as head/body info are stored in the save game file.

Then I made a front end for the (then) command line only save file (.fl) editor called "Simple Save Editor". It was very basic but did the job and let people quickly open/save Freelancer save game files.

Finally, I was very unhappy with the existing INI editing tools (e.g. BiniQDU) they had numerous problems, mainly leaving copies of bini.exe and text files all over the place in your freelancer directory. I made a better tool, which listed all the files/folders in your freelancer/data directory (kind of like windows explorer) for quick access and didn't have the problems earlier tools did.

All of these programs are still available to download at http://8tb.net/freelancer/ and you are welcome to distribute them elsewhere.

Have you ever been an Admin of a mod community or website?

No.

Okay, let's get to the meat and potatoes! How and when did you first
get involved in the wonderful game of Freelancer?

I first played the demo and got hooked. I got the game as soon as it was released.

What aspects of Freelancer are you most interested in?

Single player. I loved the single player game. The story was great, the gameplay was fun. I must have played through the game 20 times.

What groups / clans have you been affiliated with?

None. I've always created tools on my own, but never really got into multiplayer or became part of a mod group.

List your accomplishments and projects you have participated in.

Only the tools I've created really.

List any awards, offices or positions you have held.

n/a

How has the Freelancer scene changed since you started playing?

Some of the mods out there now are incredible. Things that didn't seem possible back when I was modding the game are now. People have hacked apart the executable and dll files and decompiled the various file types making the game so much more modable than ever,

Are you currently active on any servers?

No.

What mod really stands out in your mind?

I always enjoyed the rebalance mod, although I never played multiplayer much, when I did it was rebalance.

What do you find most interesting about Freelancer...the single player
aspect, clan wars, being a pirate, a cop, vanilla servers, hugely
modded, Star wars, what?

Single Player, it's what got me hooked on the game and when I get Freelancer out from time to time I play through the single player story.

What will be your role in Freelancer in the coming years?

Probably a very minor one. I've mostly lost interest in Freelancer recently, I still visit lancersreactor.com and post on the forums under the name ix. I can often be found in the chat room too, under the same name,

Describe in detail any memorable Freelancer experiences.

The most memorable for me, is the first time I played through the single player game. I thought the story and atmosphere of the game was incredible. I played through it again over the next few days. The first time I played through I didn't really understand the way the factions worked and just did missions for anyone I could, then wondered why I kept getting attacked for no apparent reason. The second time I played through I figured it out.

Why do you spend countless hours building mods, making tools, answering
questions or writing tutorials?

I built tools because at the time I was learning how to program and it was a good, fun and useful way to learn and it did genuinely help people.

What other games do you regularly play?

Now I play a lot of TrackMania Nations and Unreal Tournament 3 and Command and Conquer 3. I also play any good single player games which are released on PC (Still waiting for GTA4).

Do you have any hobbies other than games?

Not really, I work a full time job as a programmer (Building those tools got me a lot of useful experience), go out most weekends so just generally relax by playing games or watching TV.

Is there anything new coming up in the future for you?

In the world of Freelancer? Probably not. I still enjoy the game but I can't see myself making any more tools for it.

How do you view the future of Freelancer?

With Digital Anvil gone, and the likelihood of any new Freelancer game at almost nothing, it's a shame to say but the community is only going to shrink, but there is quite a hardcore set of players still around so it's not going to die out any time soon.

What we really need is for Microsoft to give Freelancer away as a free download much like Rockstar have done with the original Grand Theft Auto and GTA2. However, this is Microsoft so the chances of that are slim to none. Even if it could be released on Steam or something, we'd see a load of new players but microsoft seem to have given up on FL, unfortunately.

Can you recommend any others in the community for an interview?

It would be good to see an interview with Eraser or bakedpotato or other early LancersReactor admin. Without them, there wouldn't really be a community, and the fact that it's still here 5 years later is wonderful to see.

Are there any last things you would like to add?

Keep up the good work. With lancersreactor going through some issues at the moment it's good to see another freelancer site still heading in the right direction.

Hope this is what you wanted.

Tom AKA TheJkWhoSaysNi.

Last edited by Soupman on Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:19 am, edited 6 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I gotta ask, Monte Python fan? ;)