The Freelancer Community Site by Team [RIP] » Board index » The FLC Public Forums » FL Community News & Interviews

Post subject: Interview with The Monkey Universe Dragnite_MU *
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

[align=center]Welcome to another addition to FreelancerCommunity.net! As Freelancer ages, and us too, we thought it was time to start honoring those who have helped to make this such an enjoyable adventure. From tool makers to coders to mod builders to board admins, welcome to the 'FreelancerCommunity.net Interviews'!

I have gathered most emails for these prominent members of our community and have sent out many of them (but not all). If you think you deserve an interview, feel free to email me [email protected]. You may also nominate someone for an interview, please give me their email.

Interviews will be posted in the order I get them back and will be showcased for at least one week. All interviews will be archived in our forums for prosperity.
[/align]

[hr][hr]

Hello Dragnite, what other names have you been known by in the Freelancer Community?
Dragnite, Scutters_Revenge

What part of the world do you live in?
UK

How old are you?

How many years have you played Freelancer?
Around about 3 years on and off.

Have you released or helped to build a mod? Please describe it.
First helped witht he release of the 1.90 MU mod, then assisted Flybyu with coding the 2.40 and since that ive helped the MUMT release versions, 2.41,2.42,2.43,2.44,2.45,2.46 and soon to be 2.461

Have you written a tutorial? Please tell us about it.
I've written a couple on the MU forum for running your own server and using fled-ids, but havent done any others because i never seem to have the time.

Have you created any tools for the community to use? What does it do?
If i knew how to i would love to. But PC languages to me are like trying to read a cornflakes packet thats been written in japanese. (No offence to any japanese that may read this)

Have you ever been an Admin of a mod community or website?
Been an Admin at MU for a year and a half now, other than that i recently got awarded admin status on freelancercommunity.net.

Okay, let's get to the meat and potatoes! How and when did you first get involved in the wonderful game of Freelancer?
I was round at a friends place and he mentioned he'd just bought a new game called freelancer and showed me it. I thought it looked like the kinda game i could get into so *cough* got a copy from him to try it out as i prefer to try before i buy. Anyway played through the singleplayer and i couldn't put it down. Eventually bought the game a month later and tried out the multiplayer world. I started on a server known as Sir Warwicks which was a vanilla server.

What aspects of Freelancer are you most interested in?
Modding and making friends with people from the awesome community we have.

What groups / clans have you been affiliated with?
This could be a long list lol. First created my own clan with a friend which we called the JMC (Jupiter Mining Corp) Then i was in the SPF, TBH, Exodus, Tiger, probs a couple of others but i forget.

List your accomplishments and projects you have participated in.
Id say one of the accomplishments i recentyl learned that im quite chuffed with is system editing. Made my first system on MU known as robot2 accompanied by Tiger we were both very please when we released 2.42 and started getting the nice comments about the system and the bases we put into it.

List any awards, offices or positions you have held.
How does "The Evil Admin" sound, well thats what some say i am :P

How has the Freelancer scene changed since you started playing?
Well the most obvious one being less players. I have also noticed that some of the players tend to be quite childish these days and tend to cry all the time when they get killed. Some of them also dont seem to have a clue of what roleplay really is. I guess they just never played cops and robbers as kids. But hey you take the good with the bad enjoy yourself and get on with it.

Are you currently active on any servers?
Very active on MU im like part of the furniture now. Also tried out a couple of other mods like DS9, Void, Asgard and recently made a character on the Underverse vanilla server.

What mod really stands out in your mind?
Would i be biased if i said MU lol. Nah if i had to name one it would be War Torn. When FreindlyFire first showed me some of the things they have achieved with the mod my jaw hit the ground in awe. However there are countless mods out there that most i havent tried and they all have their good and bad points.

What do you find most interesting about Freelancer...the single player aspect, clan wars, being a pirate, a cop, vanilla servers, hugely modded, Star wars, what?
For me its the interaction with people from all around the globe. It doesnt matter wether your a target in my reticle, my wingman in a battle or just sitting chatting and having a laugh. Its all fun and id like to think i have many friends from various places around the world.

What will be your role in Freelancer in the coming years?
I expect i will remain as an Admin at MU and mymodding knowledge and skills will grow as they are everyday. I dont have any reason to leave MU and while we have players i shall continue to work with the nice team we have over there.

Describe in detail any memorable Freelancer experiences.
This is a nice one. My most memorable experiences would be the many many battles i had with the [RIP] clan when i was in the [>Exodus<]. We would often invade their home system in 3 or 4 Robot crushers and blast their ships to pieces and them ours. The thing with the [RIP] that you could always rely on was that they would keep coming back for more. They never complained about losing so you knew it was going to be fun fun fun without the whining you get from others. What used to make me laugh was you would see 1 [RIP] on the server and you could guarantee as soon as you opened fire another 7 of them would log in to help out.
Other memorable moments would be from when i first started on MU as an SPF member. The countless daily battles versus the mighty [TBH] were always a laugh. I remember one time we went against them i think 7 of us all in rheinland cruisers vs 5 or 6 [TBH] VHF and we all died lol.
Another that deserves a mention was the [RIP] memorial service for a dearly departed [RIP]Phenomena. I think that was the only night ive ever seen our vent server almost full. The amount of ships there were in the Edinburgh system was highly impressive and although i didnt know Phenomena i found the speeches, or eulogies if you like very moving. I could tell he would be greatly missed. In honor of his memory we placed a planet named after him into the omicron major system :D

Why do you spend countless hours building mods, making tools, answering questions or writing tutorials?
Why? theres no other answer really than i love it. Theres no better feeling than spending hours creating something when you read on your screen how awesome somebody thought it was. I also like helping people. Without Admins like myself and everyone else out there, there would be no FL community.

What other games do you regularly play?
Amazingly i find time to do this lol. I play battlefield 2142, supreme commander, supreme commander forged alliance, need for speed, silent hunter 4, command and conquer, and a few games on PS3

Do you have any hobbies other than games?
Yep i like building pc's. I regularly take mine to bits even if it is just to clean out the dust from the fans. Built most of my families pc's too :D

Is there anything new coming up in the future for you?
Yeah im about to move house :S in a couple of days start a new job and go back to college too :D

How do you view the future of Freelancer?
If the community sticks together and drops the whole atitude of "i made it why should i share it" and works together as a whole then FL will live for many years to come.

Can you recommend any others in the community for an interview?
I'd like to recommend, MPA's Tiger ([email protected]), Tunicle([email protected]) and Druid([email protected]) oh and >MP<Boom([email protected]) (when he is well enough to be allowed back on the pc)

Are there any last things you would like to add?
I would just like to thank you for giving me the oppurtunity to tell the community my thoughts, opinions and memorable times.

Thank you for the interview! It is the contribution of folks like you that help to keep the game and the community alive!

Profile E-mail  

The Freelancer Community Site by Team [RIP] » Board index » The FLC Public Forums » FL Community News & Interviews