The Freelancer Community Site by Team [RIP] » Board index » The FLC Public Forums » FL Community News & Interviews

Post subject: Interview with Roo-Avery *
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Roo Avery, what other names have you been known by in the Freelancer Community?

Only Roo Avery as far as the general community is concerned. However only faces from TFL would know me also as Drahawk, Silk, Nedelor amongst others.

What part of the world do you live in?
The United Kingdom, along the south coast.

How old are you?

How many years have you played Freelancer?
Over 5 years now.

Have you released or helped to build a mod? Please describe it.

I have helped over the years on the various TFL Mods. I am not technically minded like some of the great Modders out there. So I get involved when it comes to balancing issues and ensuring that our mod updates compliment the RP of the server. I have also been a Beta tester on every TFL mod since I started playing there. Along with this I had the great privilege of being able to enjoy Gibbons new Mod before it was released.

Have you written a tutorial? Please tell us about it.

No, I haven't been able to donate a tutorial to the community. As previously said, I am not a Modder. I leave this to those that can.

Have you created any tools for the community to use? What does it do?

This interview is going well! No, I haven't created a tool for the community to use... I have had some ideas over the years, but have never found the time to learn how to make those ideas a reality. I have shared many of these with other TFL Admins, and other Server Admins.

Have you ever been an Admin of a mod community or website?

Here is my list;

*Topfreelancers.net.

*Universal Modding.

*The Starport.

*Lancers Reactor.

*Uberlancer.

These are just within the Freelancer community. I have been a staff writer for MMORPG.com and have also helped create and administrate various other community/fan sites for other games.

Okay, let's get to the meat and potatoes! How and when did you first get involved in the wonderful game of Freelancer?

I used to be the Assistant Manager of a convenience store and it was a member of staff that got me into it. I ended up having a couple of drinks round his one evening after work and he said he had an awesome game we should try out via LAN. Anyway, I was hooked after about... 2 minutes! I went straight out the next day and purchased a copy.

I spent a few weeks completing Single player, replaying it and then exploring afterwards. It took me about 3 months to pluck up the courage to try Multiplayer. Freelancer was the first time I had ever played a game online with other people. I ventured onto a variety of servers before ending up on TFL where I ended up making my home. It was from there the RP (later Admin) character Roo Avery was born (if you discredit the Feist books!!).

What aspects of Freelancer are you most interested in?

I couldn't fight properly if my life depended on it, so I trade. I have always been in a Trader clan, or Pirate clan smuggling. So for me the ultimate prize is a fully functional Dynamic Economy for Freelancer. Many great attempts have been made, and many more are being attempted right now. I also know that the Uberlancer team were throwing this idea around alot, so many their vision of a FL2 will include a Dyn Econ, and I would be interested in seeing what they come up with.

To me however, as much as I love the game, I am captivated by the community and talent that it has. It's no secret that the game is old, and we have lost alot of player due to MS pulling support, however we have some extraordinarily talented people within our community spending thier own time developing new tools and mods to help keep the 'dream' alive. We also have those people that spend thier own money running servers so we can continue to enjoy the game with our friends. This is why, although I dont have alot of technical knowledge and am a hopeless modder, I continue to do what I love, and donate my time into helping the running and organising of various sites and servers.

What groups / clans have you been affiliated with?

Clan wise, I have spent most of my ingame years on the TFL Server, so I apologise if you have never heard of these clans.

[SDI] - Sirius Diversified, Inc. (Trader)

{CDF} - Corsair Defence Force - (Pirate/Smuggler)

[KAOS] - Kaotic Alliance of Outcast Survivors - (Pirates/Smuggler)

[FTC] - Frontier Trade Corporation - (Trader)

List your accomplishments and projects you have participated in.

I am personally proud of the following projects I have been invited to work on;

*The Starport

*Universal Modding

*Uberlancer

*Lancers Reactor

A current project that is slowly taking form is the one being discussed on The Starport quite publicly about how to best approach Magazines and websites to get Freelancer back into the public eye.

List any awards, offices or positions you have held.

*Topfreelancers.net - Site Admin, Server Admin and RP Admin for 4+ years.

*Universal Modding - Part of the Site Admin Team who initially got a group of us together which ultimately lead to The Starport.

*The Starport - Along with FriendlyFire and Cheese on Toast I am on of the founding staff members. Currently charged with Community Development.

*Lancers Reactor - I held a staff position on Lancers Reactor for a short time.

*Uberlancer- From the opening days I was an Admin on the Uberlancer project with Sledge. I am no longer active there however.

How has the Freelancer scene changed since you started playing?

I feel the 'scene' has changed immensely in various ways. Firstly is the quality of Mods and Tools. It’s now we are really beginning to see more and more ground breaking developments when it comes to mods and additional content. In terms of new mods and quality two spring to mind straight away - Gibbons Galatica 2 Mod, and the FL: WT Mod. Of course there are loads of great Mods out there, but these two has me really excited.

The people have also changed. Not just the number of players, but the age level of these players. We no longer find new 'younger' players as we did. We tend to find now the majority of the players are in thier late teens or adult hood. TFL especially seems to attract alot of ex Marines and Air force pilots playing. The younger players seem to move on to games like WoW, GW and Eve. When you do find younger players they are normally old faces to FL or have started playing due to older brothers/sisters or parents.

Are you currently active on any servers?

TFL - I am still an Admin there and will remain there until it closes shop.

What mod really stands out in your mind?

I am still really excited about the FL: WT mod. I know with Kaze, Cheesy boi and Friendlyfire working on this, it is going to be well worth the wait. On top of this is the previously mentioned Galatica Mod by Gibbon. Gibbons mod, in terms of completion is fantastic. The amount of time and background he has put into the Mod is amazing and I think everyone agrees that his Mod is a fantastic achievement.

And of course... the TFL Mod. Hahaha.

What do you find most interesting about Freelancer...the single player aspect, clan wars, being a pirate, a cop, vanilla servers, hugely modded, Star wars, what?

Copied from above: I couldn't fight properly if my life depended on it, so I trade. I have always been in a Trader clan, or Pirate clan smuggling. So for me the ultimate prize is a fully functional Dynamic Economy for Freelancer. Many great attempts have been made, and many more are being attempted right now. I also know that the Uberlancer team were throwing this idea around alot, so maybe their vision of a FL2 will include a Dyn Econ, I would be interested in seeing what they come up with.

I also find RP Servers fascinating and good fun. Probably again something to do with the fact I can not PVP. But gaming is supposed to be an escape from everyday life, so then taking that to the next level and RPing a specific role/character is great fun. I spent 4 years Role playing my version of 'Roo Avery' on TFL server and I loved every minute of it. Playing the cheeky rebellious trader. It was fun, especially as I went over 3 years without being shot down by a single pirate - I believe if I remember correctly it was finally a player named Blake that caught me at a jump hole unaware.

It’s again as mentioned, the communities that are involved that keep me here. Not just the Global community (The Starport, SWAT and Freelancercommunity.net) but also the individual server communities also.

What will be your role in Freelancer in the coming years?

Who knows to be honest? I never thought I would end up as an Admin on a Global Community site. And I never thought I would see the inner workings of Lancers Reactor, let alone being interviewed by you guys. I hope that my role will continue on The Starport and I hope with the rest of TSP staff team we continue to be a prominent community site that continuously attracts new and more varied members working together to ensure that the game we all love continues for more years to come.

Describe in detail any memorable Freelancer experiences.

There have been good and bad experiences over the years that are very memorable. The issues over at Lancers Reactor will stay with everyone for a long time. We all hope now that these issues have passed and maybe we can all one day work together. So I still wish the team over there the best of luck.

The most memorable experience for me would be from TFL. It was the first night I logged into the server as an Admin. It was back in the day when we have a server full (65) and I had to wait 2 hours to get in. Once I was in, I was inundated with questions and issues that needed attention. I remember thinking 'Oh my, what have I got myself into'. I had questions about ships, weapons and bases from new players. I had older guys complaining about cheaters and I have Role players asking me for advice... all at once. But the buzz I got was incredible. I spent 8 hours ingame that night just answering issues and helping new guys - but loved every minute of it. Over 4 years later I still love doing this role and dont think I could retire from it anytime soon.

Because I enjoy playing freelancer and I enjoy helping those and enabling those other fans to get the most out of this game also.

What other games do you regularly play?
I don't play many other PC Games. I do have a spare PC set up which has WoW on it (dont shoot me). This I play occasionally with my 2 cousins online. From time to time we just meet up ingame and release some stress.

Console wise I play alot of other games mainly on my 360 but also on my old GameCube. I play mostly RPG's on my consoles.

Do you have any hobbies other than games?

Reading, I love to read. Feist, Eddings, Jordan, Tolkein... I love fantasy and read whenever I can.

Is there anything new coming up in the future for you?
Nothing really. Hahahaha. Oh wait, I am moving house soon... does that count?

How do you view the future of Freelancer?
The future is bright, the future is Freelancer. Together we can still keep this game strong.

Can you recommend any others in the community for an interview?

You interviewed most of my recommendations last time round. Have you interviewed Cheesy Boy? If not, he is a must. Let’s face it; he is that 'strange' it’s worth a read!!!

Worfeh from the Jolt site and Starport also.

Also I would like to see TFLMike from my home server interview. After 6 years running a server, I think he deserves an interview!

Profile E-mail  

The Freelancer Community Site by Team [RIP] » Board index » The FLC Public Forums » FL Community News & Interviews