The Freelancer Community Site by Team [RIP] » Board index » The FLC Public Forums » FL Community News & Interviews

Post subject: Interview with FlyByU, mod builder *
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello FlyByU, what other names have you been known by in the Freelancer Community?

I have always been FlyByU

What part of the world do you live in?

Indiana U.S.A.

How old are you?

37 (God I am Getting old)

How many years have you played Freelancer?

It was in November 2003 I remember because I was looking for Christmas presents and seen it on the shelf read the box and bought it.

Have you released or helped to build a mod? Please describe it.

The mods I have worked on:

Phoenix RPG Mod
Monkey Universe
Mancers Star Wars Ship Packs
A few more I can’t recall at this time

My Mods:

Big Daddy Story Line Mod
Big Daddy Open SP Mod
Aduis Place Server Mod
Capital Ship Encounters 1.0
Capship Encounters 1.3
FlyByU's Higher and Harder Missions Freelancer Mod
Freelancer Advanced Mod
Freelancer Power Plants 1.0
Open Single-Player mod 1.0
Ship Armor mod 1.0
And many more I can’t recall at this time

Have you written a tutorial? Please tell us about it.

More accurate NPC's: Makes the NPC’s shoot at you much better.
Changing Target Reticle Color and Size: Is a simple why of Changing Target Reticle Color.

Have you created any tools for the community to use? What does it do?

Nope never created any tools not that good in programming.

Have you ever been an Admin of a mod community or website?

My Current Server/Forum FlyByU's Freelancer Server Homepage, Aduis Place Server & Forum, and Here at The Freelancer Community ’s Forum.

Okay, let's get to the meat and potatoes! How and when did you first get involved in the wonderful game of Freelancer?

After completing the Story Line, I went on-line to check for patches and the Old TLR popped up 1st on my search so I went there and was in shock at what I seen there. With the many tutorials and the help of Baked Potato, Chips, Swat-OP, Bejaymac, Silvik, and many others over there helped me along as I struggled to learn how to mod. Freelancer was the 1st game I ever modded. Before that I just played the Vanilla games I bought I never even knew games had mods before Freelancer LOL!

What aspects of Freelancer are you most interested in?

The Story Line was always my thing. I like to mod the game to try to keep as much of what Freelancer is and could have been to the best of my ability, which I wish was more.

What groups / clans have you been affiliated with?

None at this time, I tried a few clans out but I guess it’s just not my thing at least not yet.

List your accomplishments and projects you have participated in.

LOL My biggest has to be getting my server running and online. Not much but it was huge for me as I get lost when it comes to internet and anything it involves.

List any awards, offices or positions you have held.

Admin on Forums and Freelancer Servers

How has the Freelancer scene changed since you started playing?

Well when TLR went down Along with the Global server Many Things has changed, however with Sites like The Freelancer Community , Swat-Portal , Crazy’s New Server List, and Global Player Rankings things are looking up IMO.

Are you currently active on any servers?

Yes on my server FlyByU’s Freelancer Server

What mod really stands out in your mind?

My favorite mod that changed things for me had to be Silvik’s Tie Universe 2.1.
I loved that mod played it in SP for a long time. He did a great job modding that and it looked great and played great.

What do you find most interesting about Freelancer...the single player aspect, clan wars, being a pirate, a cop, vanilla servers, hugely modded, Star wars, what?

Again, it has to be the Story Line for me. I like Modded Freelancer MP and SP as long as it stays close to what Freelancer was about. That was and is my goal to make the best mod I can without leaving what Freelancer really is.

What will be your role in Freelancer in the coming years?

I really hope that the Freelancer Advanced mod takes off and I am still running the server and forum several years from now.

Describe in detail any memorable Freelancer experiences.

On Mission 3 at Willard Station, the 1st time I ever-played Freelancer in a star flyer with 3 Drails on it and a class 1 shield. Still don’t know how I made it through that.

Seeing two Battleships stuck together looking like a Cross in MP. OMG that was so funny.

Why do you spend countless hours building mods, making tools, answering questions or writing tutorials?

Freelancer Addiction pure and simple. Anyone still playing has it too.

What other games do you regularly play?

Call of Duty 1 MP
Master of Orion 3
Rome Total War
Jagged Alliance 2 with the 1.13 mod
Heats of Iron 2 Armageddon

Do you have any hobbies other than games?

I collect Firearms. I own many such as a WWII German K98, Russian AK-47 Which I built from parts, and an AR 15 Which I built from parts, and many more those are just a few.

Is there anything new coming up in the future for you?

Yes my son’s, nephews, and their growing up.

How do you view the future of Freelancer?

As long as there are games to buy and the word gets out, along with sites like The Freelancer Community , Swat-Portal , Crazy’s New Server List, and Global Player Rankings I think it will be around for awhile longer.

Can you recommend any others in the community for an interview?

Silvik the Creator of the Tie Universe Mods.
Bejaymac He is a great problem solver and knows a lot about Freelancer Modding.

Are there any last things you would like to add?

I hope this was not to boring of a read, and wish everyone a happy Freelancer future.

Thank you for the interview! It is the contribution of folks like you that help to keep the game and the community alive!

Profile E-mail  

The Freelancer Community Site by Team [RIP] » Board index » The FLC Public Forums » FL Community News & Interviews