Post subject: Inerview with Cheese on Toast *
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Cheese on Toast, what other names have you been known by in the Freelancer Community?

Only Cheese on Toast!! Very Happy

What part of the world do you live in?

I live in Sunny Cornwall in the UK

How old are you?

turned 20 on the 16th!

How many years have you played Freelancer?

past 4, near 5 now.

Have you released or helped to build a mod? Please describe it.

Ive helped out with various people over the years, mostly questions and and i give them something to work on or link them to a place that can be of more service to them. Of memory ive made some custom jumphole FX for the galatica 2.0 mod by Gibbon and im currently working on Freelancer: War-Torn (www.fl-wt.com) which FF and me consider, the lil baby lol Very Happy been in development for a while now, but with mine and FF's work ethics outside of FL its been hard to get some solid development on the mod done (except for when we started) but now we have some time where we can go WEEE FLWT time! (also forgot to mention that running SP is a job in itself hehe)

Have you written a tutorial? Please tell us about it.

Ive written a few tutorials, some on mapping in 3dsmax, and the other one is on making custom planets in milkshape, the next tutorial should be on working with SPH files, and the lovely way of how FL maps the sphere for textures (so. uterly. retarded. lol)

Have you created any tools for the community to use? What does it do?

I created a gun maker in C# as a small project but it never got to see public use, i want to learn how to decrypt player files so i can mess around with the markets within them, taken inspiration from Lancer Solarus's cargo exchanger but on a more extensive scale ^^

Have you ever been an Admin of a mod community or website?

Im currently in the "staff" position www.the-starport.net and i have "admin" status on various websites for clans and mods and stuff to take care of the little website stuff that they cant do lol, i was made admin on TLR a while ago, but we all know what happened there hehe Very Happy

Okay, let's get to the meat and potatoes! How and when did you first get involved in the wonderful game of Freelancer?

Well, went round a friends house many years ago and was messing around on his new Bass he got and i looked at what he was doing n he was playing this game, i asked him what it was and he said "Oh, this is FL, its AWESOME." i asked if i could have a go, and for about 3 hours he couldnt get me off it (bearing in mind, i didnt know what clan he was in or anything, turns out he was in the 101st wolf clan at the time) so i instantly wanted to get a copy and got one, installed it, and then spent 3 years playing on Jolt.co.uk server, thats where the name cheese on toast was born, needed a name and i was eating cheese on toast at the time so i was like WOOP!, saw some stuff happen, clocked in a stoopied amount of hours on the 5 player limit *cough* more like 4 reg keys *cough* then i moved away from playing it to modding it and began learning the ways of FL modding by lurking on lancers for ages, i then began to start posting and managed to spam my way to my first red square (for those that could remember about all the forum ranks) and then the TLR server melted and everyone had to give cash for a new server! XYZ has happened and now im here helping staff whats considered by many the definitive source of FL Modding on the net The Starport! oh and working on FLWT DUH! Razz

What aspects of Freelancer are you most interested in?

Im intrested in pretty much every aspect of the game, id like to get into the storyside part of the game so i can help others in getting to the point where we can make our own singleplayer stories (that would be so AWESOME)

What groups / clans have you been affiliated with?

Clans in order from memory (shady hehe)

-=[Ta[x]=-
[SPS]
[H.M.S]
[P.O.B]

List your accomplishments and projects you have participated in.

I managed to complete the singler player! and too many projects to remember, but most notably Galaxy Empire (www.galaxyempire.net) Lancer Solaru's game, im doing modelling and other stuff lol Razz

List any awards, offices or positions you have held.

I got a award for a Free for All tournament on jolt.co.uk server one time, dunno if its still there... Very Happy

How has the Freelancer scene changed since you started playing?

Less people, but that is to be expected with any game really. tho its the hardcore left, its these people and what we do now that make the difference to how FL is in years to come.

Are you currently active on any servers?

Only the mod im working on.

What mod really stands out in your mind?

Well, theres a few mods that really stand out, Shattered Worlds, and Itano Circus (cus that looks friggin AMAZING) Shattered Worlds because its a mod of incredible quality, Itano Circus because it really has made FL look like FL should have been. There is FLWT, which, we hope will be the next level in FL, ever since we did the texas system and the storyline, we really felt this could be something special, the initial alpha test we had was amazing and to the testers the balance was pretty much spot on, now its getting everything else done, systems, we have the wepaons done, now we need unique FX for each and everyone (yes, over 100 guns, all unique FX) and the equipment, aswell as implement some concepts we have come up with on the way Smile

What do you find most interesting about Freelancer...the single player aspect, clan wars, being a pirate, a cop, vanilla servers, hugely modded, Star wars, what?

What i like to see is quality placed before everything else in a mod, its all well and good saying "we have thousands of peices of equipment" but they are all repitious and pretty much a waste of space, than having a few hundred of them and all unique and all have thier own very unique pro's and cons. From a Vanilla perspective, its how the people who run the server, make the server more intresting, how the events are planned and what not Smile

What will be your role in Freelancer in the coming years?

I hope to see WT a success, and that SP is still alive and well, and possibly moved onto covering other sci-fi related games from a modding perspective, start as a modding site, continue to be a modding site, die like one (can they die? rofl)

Describe in detail any memorable Freelancer experiences.

The massive battles that took place in New Berlin on the jolt.co.uk server back in the glory days, man, a system with 50 people in it just beating the crap out of each, MAN that was intense. oh, and getting my first ever ship working in game, that was awesome! Very Happy

Why do you spend countless hours building mods, making tools, answering questions or writing tutorials?

Simple, i care about this community and the things that happen within it, if i can awnser a question, i will give all the knowledge i have on it to them, its the old saying of, you only get out what you put in, i try to put as much in as i can on a daily basis Smile

What other games do you regularly play?

Day of Defeat: Source on Steam, been playing that game for longer than FL, prolyl why im so good at it lol >.> DoDs and FL, awesome. ^^

Do you have any hobbies other than games?

I like to build models for games? O.o ;D

Is there anything new coming up in the future for you?

A career in doing nothing and earning millions! but seriously, i hope to make something on this animation degree, really want to get into games design from a modelling and texturing side, i friggin love it.

How do you view the future of Freelancer?

Aslong as the community stays strong, it will get to where it needs to and live longer and prosper... wait what? lol, i hope it continues for many years to come Smile

Can you recommend any others in the community for an interview?

Im not entirely sure who there is left! (really should see who has been done) but some that come to mind are HazardFN - Developer of Biocross (cant wait for that bit of kit) and Foxunit01 Smile

Are there any last things you would like to add?

1 + 1 = Fish

Thank you for the interview! It is the contribution of folks like you that help to keep the game and the community alive!

Profile E-mail