Post subject: Interview with TLR`s FriendlyFire *
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

[align=center]Welcome to another addition to FreelancerCommunity.net! As Freelancer ages, and us too, we thought it was time to start honoring those who have helped to make this such an enjoyable adventure. From tool makers to coders to mod builders to board admins, welcome to the 'FreelancerCommunity.net Interviews'!

I have gathered most emails for these prominent members of our community and have sent out many of them (but not all). If you think you deserve an interview, feel free to email me [email protected]. You may also nominate someone for an interview, please give me their email.

Interviews will be posted in the order I get them back and will be showcased for at least one week. All interviews will be archived in our forums for prosperity.
[/align]

[hr][hr]

Hello FriendlyFire, what other names have you been known by in the Freelancer Community?
Mostly FriendlyFire and programexpert.

What part of the world do you live in?
Canada.

How old are you?
I turned 18 about a month ago.

How many years have you played Freelancer?
Can't really recall... I'm thinking since one year after its release, but I could be wrong.

Have you released or helped to build a mod? Please describe it.
Oh gosh... I've worked on the Boston Freelancer Server Super Mod, built the Procyon Systems Mod (which never was released), created the New Era Mod (which made it to Beta 02 then stopped due to lack of interest), worked as the do-it-all man in Freelancer: Combat Evolved, helped a bit with Monkey Universe for some specific bugs, participated in Freelancer: Redemption, am still giving out some tips for the Freelancer: Black Dawn Mod, and I'm working on another mod co-built with CheeseOnToast: Freelancer: War-Torn. I'm very excited about the possibilities of this last one; it shows a lot of promises and I'm looking forward to its release (you can learn more at www.fl-wt.com *shameless plug*).

Have you written a tutorial? Please tell us about it.
I've written quite a few, most for "mod schools". Mostly coding tutorials and Freelancer Explorer tutorials, as well as some bits here and there for other stuff. I'll soon have to build some tutorials on the ALE format to get the knowledge spread a bit more.

Have you created any tools for the community to use? What does it do?
I had a tool to quickly switch between MPIDs, but I've since lost the source and all compiled versions of it. Right now, I've been working for a while on Freelancer Developer, a jack-of-all-trades tool that's now in Beta 1 phase over at FLWT's site (http://www.fl-wt.com/index.php?topic=245.0). I'm hoping this utility to help out modders of all levels alike with its built in DLL editor, math tools and spreadsheet parser.

Have you ever been an Admin of a mod community or website?
I've been on too many places to remember them all, but I currently am admin on Freelancer: War-Torn, Freelancer: Black Dawn, Universal Modding, The Starport and, since a few days, The Lancers Reactor.

Okay, let's get to the meat and potatoes! How and when did you first get involved in the wonderful game of Freelancer?
I basically rediscovered the game about a year after its release (I bought it on release) and went online. I've started playing on the Boston Freelancer Server (now, sadly, defunct) and have slowly made my way through the community.

What aspects of Freelancer are you most interested in?
Modding, modding, modding and modding. If I had to precise, I'd say coding first and foremost, which englobes all from INIs to hex to hooks to ALEs to UTFs to anything that doesn't require modeling or texturing skills, because I couldn't model a brick if I had to.

What groups / clans have you been affiliated with?
I'm still supposed to be part of the EOA, even though I don't consider myself as such since I really haven't been active over there. I've been in the RIP clan at Lansdale Galactica, the OWL clan at Jolt and countless little trials on Boston. I've also been in the UNSC on Freelancer: Combat Evolved.

List your accomplishments and projects you have participated in.
Isn't this a bit redundant? I've already enumerated all the projects related to Freelancer, and I don't have much to add, bar The Starport, which is an alternate source for Freelancer information and resources.

List any awards, offices or positions you have held.
Again, this is pretty redundant...

How has the Freelancer scene changed since you started playing?
Firstly, there are many less players. Secondly, there are many more mods. Thirdly, this odd balance makes it very hard to find good communities with a lot of people active at once, making creating new projects harder and harder.

Are you currently active on any servers?
Not really. I visit Monkey Universe from time to time and will play occasionally on Freelancer: War-Torn's vanilla server, but that's about it.

What mod really stands out in your mind?
Can't really tell. I believe the Freelancer community has made a great amount of mods with equal quality. Each have their strengths and weaknesses, and I can't just put one of my own mods in there since I prefer leaving it to others to decide whether what I am doing is any good.

What do you find most interesting about Freelancer...the single player aspect, clan wars, being a pirate, a cop, vanilla servers, hugely modded, Star wars, what?
I love the exploration. Gazing at nebulae and other pretty systems is something that can be extremely interesting (and time consuming), and I'm always looking forward to see what others have done. That's why I'd say I'm more along the lines of heavily modded servers and places.

What will be your role in Freelancer in the coming years?
I'm hoping to continue my work as a TLR admin, and be able to release my mod and lead the community building around it with my fellow modder CheeseOnToast.

Describe in detail any memorable Freelancer experiences.
I can't say I have memorable FL experiences, since I've never been much of a player and I did miss the one year where FL was at its peak time.

Why do you spend countless hours building mods, making tools, answering questions or writing tutorials?
Because I'm passionate about what I do. Simple as that.

What other games do you regularly play?
I don't play regularly, but other games I play are Homeworld 2, Sins of a Solar Empire, Company of Heroes and Guild Wars. However, many of them change, as I'm mostly addicted to seeing what's new than actually completing or getting good at games.

Do you have any hobbies other than games?
I like programming, but that comes back to gaming. I also love to read anything from sci-fi to fantasy and even encyclopedias, I write a lot (I'm writing a book right now) and I'm a rock music addict (modding and music go together here).

Is there anything new coming up in the future for you?
Well, I'll be reaching University in the next year, so that's already something big for me. Other than that, I just hope I can keep doing what I do now.

How do you view the future of Freelancer?
It all depends on its community. If people finally understand that if they keep going their merry ways alone, Freelancer will not survive the year, then maybe we'll be able to make Freelancer a true cult game that could last a decade or more. I truly am hoping Freelancer will live on, as I just do not see which game I could move on afterwards; Freelancer just has that special touch no game has been able to achieve, both on the modding and gameplay sides.

Can you recommend any others in the community for an interview?
My good friend CheeseOnToast would sure do a nice job at it.

Are there any last things you would like to add?
I just wish you guys the best luck I can and I'm hoping you'll get through everything and stick with us.

Thank you for the interview! It is the contribution of folks like you that help to keep the game and the community alive!
No problem!

FF

Profile E-mail