The Freelancer Community Site by Team [RIP] » Board index » The FLC Public Forums » NEW PLAYER - Help & Support

Post subject: Multiplayer profile
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:16 pm 

Hi guys,

Getting back into FL after a while away from it and I'm loving it again!

Wanted to know if there is a way to transfer my saved multiplayer profile to another server, on another computer, so that I can give some new guys to FL some cover whilst they learn how it all works?

Cheers

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Multiplayer profile
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The short answer is yes, but with difficulty.

If they are running vanilla (original v1.0 game) on your home server you can.
If you were running on someone else's server than your player file is there and you can't access it. So, no.

On your home server it would be in ...My Documents\My Games\Freelancer\Accts\Multiplayer
But even that file is tied to a folder and a user, so you would have to give them your reg file as well.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:20 am 

Cheers mate. As I am a bit of a tech retard, I'll get one of the guys to decipher what you just said. I am running vanilla so hopefully he'll know what you mean. I was looking at downloading discovery but you can't run a private server right? I.e. Have a few mates to set up a LAN party. Is that right? The idea of owning a battleship is so freaking appealing. I'm not that much of a gamer but FL has always been my favorite game.

Cheers mate......

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:24 am 

I am running the server until the guys get the hang of FL and one of them had a look and couldn't work out how to get the new server to recognise the old saved files when we transfered them to the new computer. He's doing a Degree in Computers or something at uni. I'm sure that he'll know what you me.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes....

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Discovery does indeed let you run your own server, so have at it.

It takes the same reg file to get into the old save game file. The reg file is the long series of letters and numbers you can find by going to Start\Programs\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\Examine my account ID

There are several utilities designed to extract this for easy transfer from your registry to a file.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:29 am 

Here's how to do it.
Go to the server admin that has the file and ask him to send it to you via email, MSN chat, or another filetransfer method.
From there take the *.fl file he sends you and transfer it to the admin of the server you wish to put the file on.
He would drop that file into your existing account on that server.

This only works if the servers are running freelancer in vanilla mode, or both servers are running the same mod.
In some cases where a server is running an optional mod such as FLU, a vanilla file could be migrated over as well.

The problem often is admin cooperation. If you can get them to agree to such an endeavor, you're gtg.

The Freelancer Community Site by Team [RIP] » Board index » The FLC Public Forums » NEW PLAYER - Help & Support