The Freelancer Community Site by Team [RIP] » Board index » The FLC Public Forums » Freelancer Tutorials

Post subject: Random Modding Questions
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 am 

Hi All,

Not looking for specific answers here - just a little guidance on where to find info.

1. Player Status Screen - is it possible to mod this at all? - i.e. change what is shown on the right hand side. For my mod, 'Battleships Killed' is irrelevant, and I'd like to put something else there - I understand I'd have to probably hack the exe and write some code - I also understand this is very unlikely to be easily possible

2. Loading Screen and Start Screen (where you select new game etc) - best place for a tutorial on modding these - esp the start screen animations?

3. Neural net log entries - best place for a tutorial on modding this aspect of the game - I want to add entries when the player gets x number of kills (again, I understand this won't be straightforward - unless it can be 'scripted' somehow into a mission trigger or something)

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Random Modding Questions
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

1. Yes, to a degree. Use Reshacker or some other program and browse through all the dlls. You will find a wealth of stuff that you will want to change. ;)

2. You can easily replace the start and load screens (just pictures). They have alpha channels so a little tricky.
The start screen animations are done in thn, pretty advanced for a new modder.

3. I doubt you can add anything here (you can't change the length of the vanilla exe). For singleplayer stuff Rasauul has done an extensive tutorial here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=511

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:22 pm 

Cheers DwnUnder!

That'll keep me busy for a while :D

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:51 am 

Resources.dll has most of those entries in. The animation in the start screens while compressed into a THN file is actually using LUA, so if you're a dab hand at that, go for it. Start screens are easy to change, otherwise what Dwn said :)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:22 am 

Gibbon wrote:
Resources.dll has most of those entries in. The animation in the start screens while compressed into a THN file is actually using LUA, so if you're a dab hand at that, go for it. Start screens are easy to change, otherwise what Dwn said :)

I've had a quick look, and it's very similar to javascript/json - which I am very comfortable with. The only thing I am missing is some specific documentation on all the valid identifiers and constants, but I'm sure I can work it all out from the example tutorials on menu screen modding and the big tutorial on mission modding mentioned above by DwnUnder.

One thing I did wonder about is do the THN files have to be compressed/compiled in order to work in the game? - I am assuming yes, which is not a big issue, just a bit more time required to compile/compress the files. I'll have to see if I can get hold of the source code to decompress/decompile and compress/compile those files so I don't have to do it 'manually' for each script.

I have the source code for reading/writing resource DLLs - that has saved my about 40+ hours work, and major headaches having to record which IDs I used for each string & infocard.

To give you some numbers - I have approximately 1200 custom name resources so far, and about 800 infocards (seeing as ships require 3 custom cards each - i know it's 4 in total but the stats template one (ids_info2) is the same for all ships so can be referenced by all).

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thn's do not need to be recompressed to work.

Attachments:
FLED_Thorn.zip [40.41 KiB]
Downloaded 290 times

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:32 am 

DwnUndr wrote:
Thn's do not need to be recompressed to work.

Cool.

Cheers for the decompiler link as well! :D

Profile E-mail  

The Freelancer Community Site by Team [RIP] » Board index » The FLC Public Forums » Freelancer Tutorials